Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Drama

This is something I remembered today, which I haven't thought of in a long time:

I took a whole year of drama class when I was a sophomore in high school. The first semester I took it because it seemed a little better than study hall, and the second because I had a crush on a boy in drama class who looked a little like Jordan Catalano. (It is dangerous, my friends, to underestimate the profound affect boys who look like Jordan Catalano have had on the course of human history.)




Anyhoodle, I was, hands down, the worst kid at drama--possibly who ever lived. There was this one time where I was supposed to be "acting" in a "scene" with another girl named Laura Forrester who was supposed to be my mother and I was supposed to be her teenaged daughter. At one point Laura was meant to say something that whipped me into such a fury that the script instructed that I yell "YOU CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!" and storm off stage.

And you guys, I couldn't. I just couldn't. I started laughing, and completely fell apart in front of God, Jordan Catalano and everybody. I remember seeing Laura Forrester's face when I managed to get in a breath in between the the convulsive giggles, and she was looking at the drama teacher like "what am I supposed to do with this?"

The next week, Laura Forrester got do do a scene from Romeo and Juliet with...Jordan Catalano. And I was cast as Ouiser in a scene from Steel Magnolias. To the victor go the spoils.

And this, my sweet creampuffs, has been a Special Edition Thanksgiving Parable. It was also an excuse to show that clip from My So-Called Life. Happy Thanksgivies!

No comments:

Post a Comment